4.21.2009

Today's Hot Nerd: Natalie Merchant

Have I mentioned lately that I really have a thing for curvy brunettes?

Yankee by birth, Southern by good-damned-tastes-and-sensibilities...Der Schatten proudly presents a dynamic woman that he has seen as a solo act in a dive, a solo act in an ampitheatre, as the front for a mega-star band in an ampitheatre, and as the front for an obscure band in a dive. Ladies and Gentleman the ALWAYS-SMOKIN' NATALIE MERCHANT!
So pretty, so odd.

Yes, I largely grew up in Tuscaloosa Alabama (Roll Tide. Wh00t1!1!). Anyway, we were blessed, being so close to Athens, Ga to see many fine acts, although, per Rolling Stone, we weren't too damned shabby for the music scene. When I was in H.S. and College and Grad School, I had the privilege to see Athens' fixtures: B-52s, Natalie Merchant, REM, 10000 Maniacs, and neo-grundgers like Gin Blossoms. It was FUCKING AWESOME. But, of all these (besides Mojo Nixon) my fave to see was Natalie.



After the baby she only grew hotter in my eyes...

Nerdentials? Top shelf. Like me, Ms. Merchant grew up without television. She was a musical savant at an early age, and was home-schooled for that purpose. A long-standing politico and vegggie, her versions of "sweet home alabama" never failed to bring down the house. I give her especial props for writing the FUCKING BRILLIANT tracks "Seven Years" for douchy-Michael Stipe, who never deserved her in any event, and "Beloved wife"...both of which, after all these years, will bring me to tears. Props Nat, Props.


No sex here, kids...just one of the best songs ever written.

No comments:

Post a Comment